Skip Navigation

Margins Homelessness Project



The Margins Project, based here at the Union Chapel, provides a range of vital support services to people facing homelessness, crisis and isolation in our community and beyond.


Background

Margins Homelessness Project was established in 1995 in direct response to the high incidence of rough sleeping and the number of people presenting themselves at the doorstep of Union Chapel in need. The project now provides support for up to 180 people a week.


Services

  • Sunday Drop-In: Central to the project and open to all. Guests receive a hot meal and can access a range of services to meet their immediate needs such as clothing, showers and laundry facilities
  • Advice and resettlement service: Advice workers are available at Sunday Drop-In and at the Winter Night Shelter to help guests find and retain accommodation, to advise them on routes into employment or to advise on benefits to which they may be entitled.
  • Winter night shelter: Every Thursday between January and March we welcome up to 24 guests to a warm, dry shelter, along with a hot nutritious evening meal and a hot and hearty breakfast the following morning as part of the Caris Islington Network of night shelters.
  • Volunteer-run cafe: We encourage any ex-guests, who feel they are ready, to volunteer at the Margins Project and in particularly at Margin's Union Cafe which operates at all gig (except on Sundays).  Volunteering at the Margins Project has helped many of our ex-guests to develop and grow in confidence
  • Groups and workshops: We run a variety of groups and workshops throughout the week, allowing our guests to meet up, relax, develop creativity, learn new skills and grow in confidence and self-esteem.

Donate to Margins now at  

  

Vision

A supportive community committed to social inclusion, where people are recognise by their potential and not by their misfortunes.

 Mission

To create a safe space, where people facing homelessness and poverty are offered support. They are encouraged to explore and develop their potential within the community. A place where people feel empowered to progress towards their recovery.

 

Margins relies on donations and volunteers, there are many ways you can help here are just of a few:


Give What You Can

Online through Just Giving

Or by sending a cheque made payable to Union Chapel Project to Margins, Union Chapel, Compton Avenue, London, N1 2XD
 You can also set up a standing order for regular donations.


Volunteer

We need volunteers to perform a variety of roles at the Margins Project, including helping at the Sunday Drop-In and Union Cafe.

If you are interested or have any questions please email Laura at laura.michener@unionchapel.org.uk or call on 0207 226 1686.



Visit Margins Union Cafe

When you come to a concert make sure you come with an appetite!

All the profits from the volunteer staffed Cafe, which operates at all gigs &events (except those on Sundays), go directly to Margins.


Become a Member

A great way to support the all work of the Union Chapel 60% of the profit from membership goes to Margins Homelessness Project (the other 40% goes to the Organ Restoration Project).