Skip Navigation

Organ and Music Outreach


The present organ was built by Henry ("Father") Willis in 1877-78, designed integrally with the architecture and installed behind the screen so that the source of the sound is not visible but is diffused into the chapel. The organ was inaugurated on 11 March 1878, four months after the Chapel itself was completed.

Union Chapel has a long-established musical tradition. It was at the forefront of choral singing in Victorian times, with a succession of distinguished organists and we hope to restore that tradition.

Join the Union Chapel Choir here


Organ, Before, after and hydraulics


View more photos of the restoration work on the Union Chapel facebook page.


The Friends have launched a fundraising appeal for the Music Outreach Programme 2016. We are delighted to have
Sir David Lumsden and Anne Elise Smoot as Patrons of the Organ Restoration Project.

Read more about the Appeal here.


Donate to the Organ Appeal at:


The Chapel has completed the organ repair work funded by Heritage lottery Fund.
Work continues on the Music Outreach Programme.

Why not join the Friends of the Organ for £10 per annum? See further details of the Friends of Union Chapel Organ here.

An extract from the "The Making of the Victorian Organ" by Dr Nicholas Thistlethwaite, with details of the specification
and history of the organ, can be downloaded here, by kind permission of Cambridge University Press.

A link to the Harrison & Harrison Organ Builders website can be found here.


Registered Charity No. 288545

Date: 10/2013